Links to Information on Eco-Tourism and Sustainable Development
As part of our efforts to preserve our environment in Nicaragua, and around the world, Adelante Express is providing this page of links to Web sites hosted by organizations and other businesses that support a sustainable and environmentally aware approach to tourism and development.
- Charles Darwin Foundation, Inc./Galapagos.org—Advocates for the lasting protection of the Galapagos Islands through programs of constituency building, education, and fundraising in North America.
- Conservation International—Applies innovations in science, economics, policy and community participation to protect the Earth’s richest regions of plant and animal diversity in the biodiversity hotspots, high-biodiversity wilderness areas as well as important marine regions around the globe.
- Conserve Online—Created and maintained by The Nature Conservancy in partnership with other conservation organizations, as a no-cost public repository of tools, techniques and experiences available to conservation practitioners
- Earthship Biotecture—Passive solar homes made of natural and recycled materials
- Ecobrazil—Packaged tours to Brazil and many other Latin America countries
- Ecotourism Association of Australia—Formed in 1991 as an incorporated NPO, and is the peak national body for the ecotourism industry
- Guide to Cheap Green Living—Tips and hints on how to save money while saving the planet.
- Fundacion Pachamama / The Pachamama Alliance—Pursues a two-fold mission to preserve the earth’s tropical rainforests by empowering the indigenous people who are its natural custodians and to contribute to the creation of a new global vision of equity and sustainability for all.
- Inter-American Development Bank— the Inter-American Development Bank was established in 1959 as a multilateral finance institution for the development of the region. Its loans and grants help finance sustainable economic and social development projects and support strategies to reduce poverty, expand growth, increase trade, investment and regional integration, and promote private sector development and modernization of the state.
- The International Ecotourism Society—An industry group that promotes and supports sustainable forms of economic development and tourism
- International Finance Corporation—The value of environmental, social and governance expertise at IFC is recognized by clients who mention it among the top 5 reasons why they choose IFC over another financial institutions.
- Las Fincas Reserve—Planting over 75,000 indigenous trees (so far) to “return to forest” and stimulate the bio-diversity in a 450 acre private reserve.
- National Geographic Center for Sustainable Destinations—Working to protect all the world’s distinctive places through wisely managed tourism and enlightened destination stewardship.
- The Nature Conservancy—A leading conservation organization working around the world to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people.
- Organization of American States—The OAS supports the Inter-American political and technical dialogue for tourism development as well as cooperation in multinational projects and activities with emphasis on the development of small tourism enterprise, safety and security, and sound environmental management, seeking to contribute to greater competitiveness in the international markets for the Latin America and Caribbean tourism destinations.
- Planeta.com— is an informative news source and discussion site on ecotourism, focused on (but not limited to) Latin American issues. Planeta.com Resource guide to the IYE 2002 http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/year.html
- RUES Hotel Selection – Eco-friendly Hotels Worldwide—In 1994 RUES Hotel Selection (RHS) created the first – environmental friendly referral group system – “EcoFriendly Hotels Worldwide” starting in Latin America with a pioneer project in Bolivia. The Founder and President of RHS has been involved in sustainable tourism development initiatives since 1976 by designing and developing the first “RUES Eco Lodge Village in the Amazon region of Ecuador.
- Sustainable Tourism—Portal Web site maintained by the Urban Environmental Management organization
- Tourism Concern —Works with communities in destination countries to reduce social and environmental problems connected to tourism and with the outbound tourism industry in the UK to find ways of improving tourism so that local benefits are increased. We fight exploitation in tourism.
- World Tourism Organization—A specialized agency of the United Nations and the leading international organization in the field of tourism. It serves as a global forum for tourism policy issues and a practical source of tourism know-how.
- World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)—one of the world’s largest and most experienced independent conservation organizations, with almost 5 million supporters and a global network active in more than 100 countries.